Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Babies and Blessings


So. I haven't done this in a while and I'm feeling nostalgic today. My wonderful friends the Faundez family had a baby today! They had a beautiful little girl, Angela. She is wonderful, and looks just like a Faundez! I've been thinking a lot about Christian, and how quickly he's growing. I only have a little more time to instill in him the things I want him to know. I want him to grow up to be a good man. One who puts others first, and tries his hardest no matter what. I want him to be giving, and patient, and gentle when he needs to be. Sometimes I feel like all day I'm just reminding him the same things over and over. I have to remind myself that I want him to know I love him, more than any of those other things. I love him so much, it seems absurd to me that he would ever question it. But he does. I told him the other day I was going to be his Mom forever, no matter what. I would never stop being his Mom. To me, this was something obvious. But for him, it was profound. I think he was scared that some day, for some reason, I would leave him too. It breaks my heart that he thought that, and I'm so glad I cleared his mind. He has had so much loss and pain already, I would never, ever do anything to intentionally make that worse. I look back over the last almost nine years, and I can't believe how time has flown. It seems like not that long ago that he was in the hospital being born. I tell stories from his earlier years that feel like last month. I know soon I'll be sending him out into the world. I want him, most of all, to know he is loved. More than he can ever imagine. By me, by other family, by friends, and by God. And when all else fails, I want him to find that love, and use it to carry through. I need to make sure I'm prioritizing telling him I love him. His love language is words. I need to use them more effectively. And stop nagging so much! Because at the end of the day, it's more important that he be loved than that my house be spotless.

No comments: